Sunday 15 September 2013

The loneliness of the short-distance runner

Alternative title - I blog because I'm crap and when you're this crap running can be a lonely business...


Although my parkrun hadn't been monumentally faster than my previous best time for 5k (35:29 compared to 36:59), the fact that I'd managed to run for a solid 18 minutes compared to my previous best of 10 minutes, and was so stratospherically better than my usual performance, meant I knew full well that I wasn't going to be copying that performance any time soon. So it was with a bit of a heavy heart and sense of foreboding that I headed out for my next run two days later...

And I wasn't wrong, the length of my first running set (the one which sets my mood for the rest of the run) fell significantly, back to my more usual times of 6/7/8 minutes. Needless to say this has somewhat beaten my post-parkrun euphoria into submission and I've been struggling to even look forward to runs, let alone enjoy them.


The following photos, both taken from the parkrun, pretty
 accurately demonstrates the range of highs and lows my running suffers from

wow, I'm off the floor and everything! (seriously need to do
something about that fringe though)
 
somewhat later in the run (at least the fringe looks better)
That second photo is courtesy of the organising running club's website.
Needless to say, if I ever become good enough to join a club - it won't
be that one 


Fortunately a combination of my slightly OCD personality and my love of a good spreadsheet has provided a slight sliver of hope. I decided to list all my post-physio runs along with the time splits, and suddenly I realised that although the improvements are incredibly slow, generally those first running sets are getting slightly, but more importantly, consistently longer. 

no wonder I'm myopic
So although I'm struggling with motivation a bit at the moment, I'm determined to keep going, and do more to hopefully improve my running, so next I am going to blow my nectar points on a rowing machine so I can still work on my cardio on non-running days.


WEEK 9

Monday 2 September (evening)
17m 30s. 1.64 miles. Average Speed 5.63 mph. Average Pace 10:40 min/mile
7:29r / 1:30w / 2:27r / 1:31w / 2:02r / 1:31w / 1:00r

I think my legs were possibly still tired from Saturday. Calves felt crampy from the start and my ankles sore. I doubt I was doing myself any harm though so I really need to work on running through the discomfort.

In addition to the run (which turned out shorter than I'd planned), I was going to do some hill sprints but after running up the first of the Normans and wanting to throw myself under the traffic at the top rather than carry on living, I decided not to bother.

Post-run damage - calves felt REALLY tight



Wednesday 4 September (evening)
39m 17s. 3.22 miles. Average Speed 4.92 mph. Average Pace 12:12 min/mile
8:06r / 1:30w / 2:01r / 1:31w / 1:21r / 2:01w / 2:10r / 2:01w / 0:37r / 0:42 stop to get rid of pebble / 1:07r / 2:00w / 1:30r / 1:30w / 2:01r / 2:30w / 2:25r / 2:30w / 1:44r

A nice evening run round the Abbey just as the sun was setting. Unfortunately I was diverted off track as a stage was being built for what turned out to be this year's Classical Fantasia (more on that later).

Tried to concentrate on lifting my knees (and I do mean 'lifting' rather than 'pushing' my knees up) and keeping everything below the knees floppy. It really does feel like playing horsey, but afterwards my calves didn't feel too bad, and it was certainly an improvement on Monday.

possibly the last time I'm going to be able to do this route
post-work without a torch


Saturday 7 September (late afternoon)
37m 40s. 3.1 miles. Average Speed 4.94 mph. Average Pace 12:09 min/mile
6:40r / 1:30w / 1:00r / 1:32w / 1:39r / 3:30w / 0:45r / 1:30w / 2:30r / 1:30 / 2:20r / 4:00w / 1:36r / 2:00w / 2:03r / 1:30w / 2:05r

Another run along the canal, and through several weather systems. Overall it was faster than I should be doing for a training run but the running bit isn't getting any better. Finished feeling a bit despondent.


So not a fabulous end to the week, just one where I feel like I just have to keep plugging away. On a brighter note, one benefit to living where I do on the top of a hill, I am in a prime position to watch the aforementioned Classical Fantasia firework display. This year's was particularly impressive, and my photography couldn't come even close to doing it justice, but here are some photos anyway, just for the hell of it. I was hoping to arrange them better but Blogger has defeated me.





No comments:

Post a Comment